Friday, May 23, 2008

Customer Care (?!)

"ग्राहक: देवो भव|" seemed to have the new motto of the industry. We see numerous products coming out in the market oriented specifically to satisfy the customer needs. But, to sustain in this highly competitive world, the major part of the industry is the post-sell service. The customer care section is the one which is expected to do this job. Well, they do it, but not always in an appreciated manner. I should say, some call center employee simply scare a customer away! No need to mention that companies with very good customer care are highly popular even if the product is not so competitive.

I had some bad experiences with the customer care one of the companies very recently. I was completely exasperated by the rudeness of the call center guy. And that's when I got into a debate with one of my friends on 'why they do this job'. His argument was they don't like the job but for supporting the family they do it. My argument was, if they are not happy with the job, they should leave it or continue doing it as a responsibility. Otherwise, they are neither being honest to their employer nor to themselves! If they want to have the money, they should follow the work ethic and morality. Well, I was baffled by my friend's response. He said, "You see, not everyone has ethics and morals". Hmmm.. So, is that what happens at most of the workplaces? I guess that's why job satisfaction comes as the first priority when you expect to get the most out of people..

No comments: