Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Verses from Geetanjali..

Well, I just finished reading Geetanjali.. I loved the book.. Tagore is a great poet and a great philosopher as well.. His poems have intrinsic meaning.. probably n number of meanings.. it depends on the way one takes.. I read it in completely non-scientific and non-spiritual perspective.. I took a hell lot of time to read that tiny book of just 103 verses.. Anyways, I am writing down 2 verses here.. The first one is pretty common but it is still very close to my heart and the second one touched me a lot and I think, from my tiny span of knowledge it is by far the best, concise way of putting the whole philosophy of one's life..

Here they are ..
Verse: 35
Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high;
Where knowledge is free;
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic walls;
Where words come out from the depth of truth;
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection;
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;
Where the mind is led forward by thee into ever-widening thought and action---
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.


Verse 96:
When I go from here hence let this be my parting word, that what I have seen is unsurpassable.
I have tasted of the hidden honey of this lotus that expands on the ocean of light, and thus am I blessed --- let this be my parting word.
In this playhouse of infinite forms I have had my play and here have I caught sight of him that is formless.
My whole body and my limbs have thrilled with his touch who is beyond touch;
and if the end comes here, let it come --- let this be my parting word.

No comments: